Seniors…get started today!
If you haven’t yet attended a Senior Orientation there still are a few more left. Senior Orientation is required to participate in recruiting activities through the Becker Career Center. Upcoming Orientations include: Sept. 24, 6pm; Sept. 25, 1pm; Sept. 30, 6pm. If none of these times fit your schedule, get together a group of 5 or more students/friends/teammates and let us know a date and time that works better for you; contact Rochelle at email@example.com.
A few tips from alumni:
- Treat your job search or graduate school planning as if it were a class; schedule time on a weekly basis.
- Start the job hunt as soon as possible, especially if you want a leadership development program, as most start recruiting in the early fall.
- Start your graduate school applications NOW. It takes time to get personal statements reviewed and to ask professors to write letters of recommendation.
- Use the UCAN Alumni Database: I called over 20 alums and talked to them about their careers, and any advice they had for me. This was one of the most helpful things I did. I figured out the types of jobs I was interested in, and helped narrow my search.
- I learned that practice makes perfect. By practicing interviews as many times as I did with the career center, I felt ready to do it in the ‘real world’. Take advantage of Mock Interview Day with real employers on Oct. 2. Contact the Career Center to sign up: 518.388.6176.
- Apply for jobs that you have the slightest interest in; you never know what you’ll learn about yourself, and you may even end up liking it. Be open minded & give things a try.
To get started on these or other aspects of your job search or graduate school plans, contact the Career Center at CareerCenter@union.edu.