The sub-zero temperatures may trick you into thinking summer is lightyears away… Don’t be fooled! Your summer internship search starts now!
The reality is, the longer you wait to get started, the more opportunities you will likely miss out on. Winter Term is a time when internship opportunities are plenty! Many application deadlines will be creeping up on you — Don’t let them surprise you! Preparation can begin today!
- Know Where to Look
- Are you familiar with Union College’s internship databases/resources? If the answer is ‘no’, attend an Internship Search Orientation.
- During this 45 minute program, you will search internship databases to identify employers who are looking for you and learn how to compete effectively for opportunities that stir your passion. Students are encouraged to bring their laptops!
Monday February 1st, 4:00pm
Tuesday February 9th, 1:00pm
Wednesday February 10th, 4pm
2. Give Your Resume a Makeover
- If you have a resume, be sure you send it to the career center (firstname.lastname@example.org) or schedule an appointment to have it reviewed. Been there, done that? You’re not off the hook yet… When did you last update your resume? Is stuff missing? Could your resume benefit from being reorganized or tailored toward positions in which you are applying? My guess is YES!
3. Become an Expert in Communicating
While applying through databases and having a tailored resume are essential to your internship search, do not undervalue the importance of your communication skills.
Communication is key.
Initial contact with an employer (i.e.; phone, video or in-person interviews) are often the primary way hiring managers determine if you are the best fit for their position.
- Are you comfortable talking about yourself?
- Can you effectively summarize your resume and/or experiences?
- Can you convince someone of your value as it relates to a specific job?
If the answer is “I’m not sure” “Maybe” or “No” then get to the Becker Career Center to meet with a career advisor to learn about Networking and/or Interview Preparation.
We will coach you, in a comfortable, hopefully un-intimidating atmosphere so that you can become confident as you build your communication skills!
“The Internship Lady”